2008/12/17

Bullish on Ween



White Pepper, which derives its namesake from The Beatle's Albums "S/T (White Album)" & "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", is a fucking gem. You don't know exactly what to make of it, and by the time you think you've figured it out, you gotta turn the tape over and rewind that shit back (always a sign of the very best cassettes). In all honesty, the album seems to draw influence from other batshit insane works like Todd Rundgren's "A Wizard, a True Star", Meatloaf's "Bat Out of Hell" (Just Kidding), The Brian Eno/David Bowie collabs or even 10cc (the most direct influence one could conjure up, I suppose) or even some latter day Led Zeppelin (if you just threw your shoe at the screen, I hope you don't get incarcerated). When you look at the sentence I just wrote, you might think I'm giving this some serious hype, well, I am, it's that good.

Ween hail from New Hope, Pennsylvania; a town known for the juxtaposition of biker bars, gay bars, and Bucks County tranquility (my boy Adrian Pacia might stab me in the neck if I didn't mention Bucks County Fencing, but parentheticals are all I can offer). I read once that they worked at the Mexican joint called "El Taco Loco", where I once consumed some mediocre nachos (the utilization of "Nacho Cheese" will also elicit such a response from yours truly), but an excellent taco, or 3; I think it's often best to stick with items that are in the name of the restaurant when unsure what to order.

You could buy a copy of White Pepper here, if somebody really wants a copy leave a comment or something.

3 comments:

Brett said...

So many comments I have to enumerate:

a. Clearly I've made an effort to start reading your blog

b. Ween, really? REALLY?

c. Listen I'm not being difficult but I think your enthusiasm is unwarranted, despite their cleaver album title.

d. I should probably give them a break though because they ARE from New Hope which is, admittedly, a unwarrantably popular tourist shithole. Lambertville on the other hand, just across the river, is a lovely section of central jersey

e. I also have had some Taco Loco experiences in my day. I stuck to the quesadillas.

f. I think your title entree pronouncement is spot on.

Brett said...

p.s. BESOS!

Jamøn Serrano said...

I want to defend my choice of Ween as must listen to music. To do so, I ought to listen to your points and try to rationalize your side of the argument here;

a. This isn't my first ween post, you had your chance to criticize early on, if you really made the effort. I still give you all the credit in the world for trying.

b. Yes, give it up, which leads directly to

c.Their "cleaver" album title is quite good, but that's not the point; the music is top notch, there are at least 5 stand out tracks in terms of playability; Exactly Where I'm at, Even if You Don't, Bananas and Blow, Stay Forever, Stroker Ace.

d. The Bucks County side of the river being a vastly superior destination for yours truly.

e. good call on the dillas.

f. entree pronouncement? Linguistic confusion ensues...

Ween can be justified in that they so often produce a nonplussed response similar to the one you've left me. That song Buenos Tardes Amigo is really fucking good, and it's gramatically incorrect Spanish!