2009/01/18

We are the time that we keep

Hello,

Sometimes, when the howling Huelva winds bow their blustery heads long enough to grant me a moment of acrid peace, I think I'm a lucky boy. The molasses like nature of the day to day here used to drive me wild; the first three months were a slow, painful deluge of bullshit bureaucracy and annoying Andalucían accents (lo que había pasado, tío, ya está) that, come Christmas time, had me seriously doubting my worth in the world at large. Having put those doubts to rest slightly by easing up, Spain has reciprocated the kind gesture; the trickle down effects of my workplace becoming somewhat less boring than before, coupled with a newfound appreciation for being able to play soccer in a t-shirt outdoors in January has me thinking twice about bitching like a little boy-o who didn't get EXACTLY what he wanted.

Number one comment I used to get from people in Oberlin when I explained that I was headed to Spain was, "Oh, you MUST be fluent by now to be doing that." The truth is that the vast majority of the people who hold the same title as me, myself included, do not speak, write nor listen at a wholly advanced level. That's really the nature of things in most jobs I realize; by being somewhat qualified, or in my case knowing a professor who took a shining to my new-school brand of braggadocio/idiocy, you are brought in to, over time, acquire and utilize the skills that you were supposed to have had with you all along. Like what the fuck is a resume? Computer skills? If you can't use a fucking computer and you graduated college in 2008, then you are wholly, unequivocally fucked. There are always people who don't seem to be working as hard as others, but yield a seemingly greater success within the same limits; it isn't easy for anyone, but being mired in the drudgery of doing something you don't actually enjoy, or having no true outlet for your passions, will lead even the most level-headed of people to find themselves jealous of those who are blissfully ignorant or mysteriously knowledgeable.



The Philadelphia Eagles have been eliminated from the playoffs this year; hold up those heads iggles fans, it's been one hell of a storybook Mcnabb-phone calling, Andy Reid Bearded, Asante Samuel picking plum dicking run for the ages.

No comments: